Oral Hygiene Aids
Here at Tilger Center for Dentistry when you come in for a routine exam, treatment or cleaning we will send you home with a plethora of oral hygiene aids that can help you keep up with your oral health at home. Oral aids are any kind of tool that is used to maintain oral health from home. Such tools include
- Dental Flosses- Dental floss is a common string like oral hygiene aid meant to clean out the plaque and bacteria in between the teeth, that toothbrushing alone cannot clean. Dental floss can come in a variety of types and flavors, ask us about the dental flosses we offer today!
- Mouth Rinses- Mouth rinses are liquid antiseptic solutions, meant to reduce the amount of harmful bacteria present in the mouth. They are meant to be used in addition to regular brushing and flossing, to ensure optimum oral health. Mouth rinses may be swelled around the mouth and/or gargled. Mouth rinses come in a variety of flavors, intensities and brands. Call us today to ask about the mouth rinses we offer at Tilger Center for Dentistry today.
- Oral Irrigators -Over the last few years oral irrigators have gotten increasingly popular as at home oral health care devices. Also known as dental water jets, oral irrigators are dental care devices that use pulsating streams of water to remove food and plaque from between the teeth and below the gumline. Some people prefer to use these oral irrigators instead of traditional dental floss. (See if they offer these for sale at the office)
- Toothbrushes- Toothbrushes are the most popular and commonly used of all the oral hygiene aids. The toothbrush is an oral hygiene instrument consisting of a head of tightly clustered bristles mounted on a handle, facilitating the cleaning of hard to reach areas of the mouth. Early forms of the toothbrush have been in use since as long ago as 3000 BC when ancient civilizations used thin twigs with frayed ends to rub against their teeth. It wasn’t until 1498 that the bristle toothbrush that we all know and love today, was invented. At our office we send our patients home with toothbrushes for proper at home oral maintenance and care.
- Tongue Cleaners- Tongue cleaners are an oral hygiene aid used to clean accumulated bacteria, food debris, toxins, fungi and dead cells from the surface of the tongue. The mouth is the most bacteria-laden part of the human body, which is why oral hygiene is so important. The tongue being such a large organ in the mouth it is important for it to not be ignored during the cleaning process as bacteria can hide on the surface. To ensure optimum oral health tongue scrapers are used to remove all of the surface layer of bacteria, food debris, toxins, fungi and dead cells. At our office, we offer a variety of tongue cleaners (make sure this is true)